A catalog consists of a collection of products that can be grouped into categories by your company. It is often said in the business world that catalogs are the best way to track your sales. So if you start tracking your sales once, it can actually help you build and re-construct better catalogs. Building a catalog according to your business definition is not easy and requires get into a lot of details like understanding how large the text should be and where it should be placed, what products should go where etc. Sure there are other forms of advertising but there are not many which can prove how many sales were made because of that ad. This is where catalogs come in. With catalogs you have a better control over information.
Let’s say you are using catalog printing as the first form of advertising. The products that may be on the back of the catalog may actually sell more than you thought. So for the next print of your catalog, you can place that product accordingly in the front. The rest of the article will be dealing with issues like how to make unique catalogs and selling with them.
There are a few things which can make or break your catalog’s impression on the client. Some points which must be kept in mind while making a catalog apart from the ones already mentioned are as follows:-
• Text: Pay attention to the text you use. Your wording is very important. You might expect a particular set of products to create a certain set of demand, but they may not do as well as you had imagined. So shift your focus to the wording to see if maybe it isn’t what the consumers are looking for or if they are able understand the wording properly.
• Show them what they want to see: You must have complete control over what the viewer is watching. Potential customer’s reaction can be positive only when they are convinced with the product, so attempts must be made to create an illusion that they need the product. If they don’t feel the NEED, they will never buy it. It is a failed attempt if it doesn’t lure them into buying whats inside the catalog.
• The Look: We live in a world where everything is judged by its look, at least for the first time. This is exactly what you need to do. Make sure that the look of your is no less than that of a magazine. The best way to do it is to incorporate a good looking magazines cover with your catalog. Show large lines on the main page with maybe a glimpse of whats inside with flashy prices attached to them, just like on magazines.
• Include HOW –TO’s: It is always a good option to include an article inside which gives an insight on how to use the products or what science is behind it. No need to mention that the main focus remains on what products are being offered, but giving customers a slight hint of what can be done with them can be a great attraction as well. For eg- If you are selling food items or some ingredients, you can put in a couple of recipes which can be used on various occasions. But if your articles don’t have a proper layout, you stand at the risk of confusing your customers.
• Brilliant reminders: Another thing that can cement your company’s image is to send them out as monthly reminders, just like a monthly magazine. Although its not necessary that you send one out every month but try and make it occasion or situation specific. Say, Christmas is close. So release one with Christmas specific things, maybe even throw a special, low-cost Christmas Offer. Highlight certain points around a particular event so your customer thinks twice before saying no altogether. This works great for food and gift companies. There are many magazines around which use the same technique. So pick up one now and start thinking creatively.
These are just some of the things you can start with. Keep experimenting and try to come up with new ideas because catalogs truly can be an asset to your marketing strategies.